Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ready...Set...Go! "God Set it all Up"

This past Tuesday night at the Awakening, Lindsey Duncan gave a great exhortation to all singles to live a life that honors God by serving others.  One young single, Brooke Ward was inspired to write about it:

READY? uhh.. not really!! SET! oohhh, not so much  GO!  okay, but where?
Running the race of life as a Christian, especially as a young adult, can be confusing and leave you wondering how to do it and who to share the journey with.  I am so thankful for The Awakening and the inspiration it has brought to my life. Last weekend I had an eye awakening experience with God.  Granted... in my life I have probably had more eye awakening experiences, but this is the one God used to really shake me into a new mindset that will allow me to DO something about it.  Super Bowl Sunday was the day God told me I had to die to my selfish desires, and change my life if I wanted to live the life he set out for me.  I didn’t really know how to do that, because I’ve done it completely wrong for as long as I can remember.  I've had the book A Call to Die by: David Nasser for quite some time yet never really devoted myself to that.  I'd read a chapter here and a chapter there, but definitely did not make it the 40 days.  I skipped out on our bible study last year when things got overwhelming, and I chose not to lead my bible study at work because I didn't think I was well equipped.  I've been choosing to live a life of convenience, pleasure, and fun.  Leading this double life of partying on the weekends, scrambling to church on Sundays hung-over, never committing to anyone, and finally (THANKFULLY) God exhausted me of living this way.
 When I came to The Awakening on Tuesday for the second time it was clear that God set it all up, because I had a million things come up and reasons not to go that night.  God put me there to hear the exact message that just blew me away.  Lindsey Duncan spoke about how she uses her singleness to glorify God, and how she lives her life on purpose.  It was so encouraging to hear someone who is living out what my heart is so desperately yearning for.  Every single thing she said I wanted to stand up and shout "Amen!!!"  It's really interesting too, because I have said 100 TIMES! "I'm done dating.  I'm going to be single for God.  I'm going to be single for one year, or 6 months or whatever...”  I've never had the desire to honestly carry this out in my life even though it's something God has been asking me to do for way too long, and when I heard that message I knew that God was telling me I wouldn't have to run this race alone.  He had not only provided a welcoming community with others who believe in Him, but also young adults that are going through the same exact phase of life as me.  Being in the presence of others who believe in God and live their lives on purpose is exactly what my heart was searching for, and God put me here for this reason.  I look around and see others whose hearts are yearning for friendship, compassion, and more God in their lives and it is so refreshing.  I can't wait to go again.....is it Tuesday night yet?
Were you there that night?  
What inspired you that night?

3 comments:

  1. Great thoughts Brooke! I, too, really enjoyed the evening's discussion.

    Ruth's decision not to find a quick husband by returning to her own people was very inspirational for me. She must have known that the Israelite men would not be quick to want to marry a Moabite. But she demonstrated faith that God would work all things to her good by doing what was right - and following Naomi (and Naomi's God).

    I've been tempted multiple times by the allure of fulfilling a God-given need through improper means. Walking with God is the utmost priority in my life, and I trust that God will care for me. Like Ruth, I need to be able to walk away from certain, easy pleasure for the promise of better things - even if it means I must wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Awesome insights Steve! Ruth was trusting in God for her provision, even when it looked like it wasn't going to be easy. Good word. That's why you are one of our best Connection Group Leaders! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great comments Brooke! I was impressed with Lindsey too. She clearly has a solid understanding of who God is calling her to be right now at this stage in her life. It is so refreshing to see such radical contentment and trust.

    One of the things that stood out to me was how often Lindsey quoted the Bible when she was talking. Without effort she was able to bring God's words into her story and that was very inspiring. Great job Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete