Wednesday, February 9, 2011

During the Storm

Last week, Dallas was shrouded in snow. Everything seemed to shut down. There was no school, work and church were cancelled, and I couldn't make it to a volunteer project I had been looking forward to. I was stuck in my apartment for four days and didn't get to see a single soul. I never wanted to have a six-day weekend every again. Besides getting to catch up on sleep, I had a hard time being thankful for all the snow and ice.

So it was kind of ironic (or really God-ordained) that the message at Fellowship White Rock would be about the storms in life. The points Gabe made were these: Our Messiah is able to calm the storm, and we should remember to praise Him even if He doesn't. In closing, he said tagged on something that really spoke to me. You never know when the storm in your life is being used to bless someone else.

What made this so cool was that he used Traffick911 and the outreach the group was doing around the Super Bowl as an example. For those of you who don't know, Traffick911 is an organization dedicated to stopping the sale of America's children into the sex slave trade. Based on research that says sex trafficking activity increases by 80 percent during a major sporting event, Traffick911 had set up teams to do street outreach during the week leading up to The Big Game. I was all signed up to volunteer with them, but because of all the snow I ended up not being able to go.

I was really upset about not being able to volunteer, but as Gabe pointed out, what if the storm that inconvenienced me also inconvenienced the sex trafficking industry for the week? What if it kept a lot of girls off the street and kept a lot of kids from being recruited into such a life? What if the storm in my life gave hope and freedom to someone else?

The thing to remember is that God is always working. Even in the storms. And that, alone, is a reason to praise Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment