Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Season of Singleness





Yesterday I got the ‘Save the Date’ for a friend’s wedding. It officially became Wedding #7 I would be attending this year. I already went to one in January, have two in March, one in April, this one will be in May, one in September, and the last wedding date hasn’t been set yet. Everyone in my life seems to be getting married.

As a single girl, when I share this with others, I tend to get, “Your time will come soon!” comment. Like I’m stating the fact that 2011 holds seven weddings for me—none of which are mine—filled with jealously or something. Which couldn’t be further than the truth. 
Don’t get me wrong. There are moments when I loathe being single. I definitely would love to be in a relationship, to find “the one.” And when I hear about another friend getting engaged, or sit through another wedding (I’ve gone to at least two each year since high school), I do sometimes begin to wish I had a guy too. But to be honest, for the most part I’m pretty content in my singleness.

I’ve dated in the past, and after a lot of heartbreak and tears, I’ve learned one thing: You can still feel empty and alone even in a relationship. Being in a relationship or getting married isn’t going to make me feel any more fulfilled or complete. Only God can do that. So the best thing I can do as a single girl is focus on God, and not on whether or not I’m in a relationship.

This is why I am so excited about the new series beginning at The Awakening. The next four weeks will walk us through four different stages of relationships: singleness, dating, engagement, and marriage. I’m hoping to learn how to best glorify God in the stage I’m in now, and gain some Bible knowledge for when I get to the other stages!

Ecclesiastes 3:1 says, “For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.”

God created marriage. And I believe that as humans we were built for relationships, and so it’s only natural to crave one. But until that season in my life comes, I need to make the most of the season I’m in now. I need to embrace my season of singleness, and be purposefully single.

Regardless of what stage or season you’re in, I hope you decide to join us at The Awakening over the next four weeks!  

 


1 comment:

  1. Random update... but I found out later that I really have NINE weddings this year! Yay! haha.

    ReplyDelete