Monday, October 24, 2011

The Three Reasons Why I love The Awakening of Fellowship Dallas!




Connecting to Community 
I don't know about most of you, but I'm not originally from Dallas. Moving somewhere new with no family close by and little resources to connect makes meeting people, especially Christ minded people, increasingly difficult. The Awakening was the social community I needed to make close connections and develop friendships. The Awakening is a wonderful place to meet people AND to chat with someone about finding the right type of group or smaller community to plug yourself into. For me it was a nudge in the right direction to start a small group for young adult women like myself. I have found wonderful ladies in this newly budding community seeing new faces every week!


Spiritual Growth 
This might seem obvious but I have seen significant growth in myself spiritually from the start of The Awakening. The community of people and the young adult pastor Phil, offer loving truth and genuine support to face those tough spots in life. I've grown through the focus on missions work and discussion on how the sermon is applicable in a young adult's life. 


Romance 
Let's face it; most people are excited to see a little romantic plot twist. Well mine started at the Awakening. I went in with some hurt and bitterness from past experiences. I endured unhealthy relationship patterns and they all drew me away from God. I had gotten the idea into my head that what I needed was to call myself to a celibate lifestyle especially after I met Geoff for the first time and noticed my attraction to him. Thinking that nothing good could come of this, God used the community there to help me work through some of the hurt of past failings and be open to God's plan for my life. That is when I saw Geoff again and one thing led to another. God has blessed me with a healthy, loving, Godly relationship with a wonderful man through the community of The Awakening.


-Joy Schrader

5 comments:

  1. There should be a "like" button for this blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you could "like" our Facebook page from the gadget on the right sidebar of this blog, that would be the next best thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. James, can we put a like button on each post? I know FB allows it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, I'll totally try and figure out how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tuh dah, we now have "Like" buttons for each post :)

    ReplyDelete