Monday, March 21, 2011

"Community Speaks" - Bobby Anderson

Occasionally, we hear stories from within the Awakening that allow us to see God's hand at work within the community.  This is a great opportunity to hear the "Community Speak." This post is told by Bobby Anderson who has been attending the Awakening for a couple months and works in the financial industry.


It was the week after I heard Phil speak about living life with purpose.  What especially hit me was when he was talking about doing your job with purpose even if it is something that you don’t particularly want to do.  Friday that week around 4:30 in the afternoon I was on a conference call with my boss and he told me that I needed to change the format of our internally prepared screening memo that our committees use to make decisions.  The kicker was that I had to completely re-do the entire document by Monday morning. 
What this meant was I was going to have to spend my whole weekend re-doing something that I had already created six months earlier.  Needless to say I was not looking forward to it.   As I started to work on this project I found myself angry with the fact that I was given this task and had to give up my weekend for something I thought was pointless.  Then I looked up and saw the posted note that I had put on my computer screen that read With Purpose.  It hit me that if I was to follow God with purpose I needed to follow through with this project and do the best possible job that I could.  I worked through the entire weekend only breaking for sleeping, eating and going to church.  After I completed the new screening memo I was very proud of what I did and it was honestly some of the best work I have ever done.
The next week I was very excited to show my boss and our committee what I created over the weekend.   To my surprise when we were going through a couple of transactions using the new screening memo our committee and my boss informed me that they were going to scrap my screening memo for another one that our team on the East coast was working on.  Their news completely deflated me and I was very discouraged.  Here I was pouring my heart and soul into my work and truly doing it was purpose just to be told it was for nothing.
At the same time I had been interviewing for a new position outside of my company.  The guy recruiting me asked me to provide two writing samples and a financial analysis document I had built in excel.  I ended up sending him the new screening memo and the two transactions that I had worked so hard on over the weekend and that my company scraped. These documents were exactly what the new company had been trying to develop internally and were one of the main reasons that they offered me the job.
Following God with purpose and applying that to everything we do is done whether or not you know what his plan is for you.  His plan for me in this situation was completely off my radar and unexpected.  Point being that is I am not always know what his plan is for me or why I am put into certain situations.  The only thing I can control is that I continue to do things with purpose and trust the God ultimately has plan for me.     
 By Bobby Anderson  

1 comment:

  1. How encouraging! It's so great to see how choosing to glorify God yields such blessings!

    ReplyDelete